Note: While the Manitoba Nurses Union oversees the Canadian Culture and Communication for Nurses Program, we hire Professional English Group Canada to provide teaching services.
PEG Canada (Professional English Group Canada)
Date posted: June 27, 2017
Close date: July 14, 2017 at 4:00 PM
Start date: September 5, 2017
Job Type: Permanent full-time (30 hours) or two part-time (depending on applicants)
Position: EAL Specialist (specializing in online delivery)
Salary range: $34.00-37.50/hr
PEG Canada overview: Professional English Group (PEG) Canada is a not-for-profit organization which employs EAL Specialists to provide teaching services within Manitoba and to online students across Canada. PEG Canada’s biggest client is the Manitoba Nurses’ Union, where our services have contributed to the success and expansion of their Canadian Culture and Communication for Nurses’ (CCCN) program. The CCCN program was designed specifically for internationally- educated nurses with the goal of being licensed and working as nurses in Canada; all the language and communication skills taught are specific to their needs and available both in a blended program (which includes onsite classes) and in an online-exclusive format. To learn more about the CCCN program, go to https://cccn.manitobanurses.ca.
Description: The EAL Specialist with PEG Canada will provide online teaching services for the CCCN program, and will be required in their downtown classroom periodically for professional development, to conduct assessments and teach face-to-face classes. Contact time with learners occurs in three 12-week sessions, with paid vacation and additional time off during their non-operational months of July and August.
- Teach online-exclusive learners
- Learn the CCCN curriculum in preparation to teach
- Prepare for synchronous online classes, using an existing lesson plan (PowerPoint)
- Make regular contact with learners: provide encouragement, give on-going constructive feedback and assessment
- Create a warm and welcoming online community by building online presence: send messages, interact on discussion forum, post short video clips and other activities to expand learner engagement
- Participate in one-to-one student meetings and staff meetings
- Prepare and invigilate end-of-session iCELBAN (training provided)
- Mark weekly assessment tasks and grade iCELBAN
- Attend conferences and specific professional development workshops as required
- Other duties as assigned, such as curriculum edits/development, moderating webinars, teaching onsite, etc.
Education and qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree and TESL certificate from an accredited institution
- Experience teaching EAL to adults with Canadian Language Benchmarks as the foundation
- Familiarity/comfort with technology, including ability to use Google Drive and other online tools
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of settlement challenges and English for Specific Purposes (ESP); demonstrated sensitivity to the needs and issues of a diverse student population
- Self-motivated with the ability to work with minimal supervision, yet accessible via email, Skype and online conferencing systems
- Strong interpersonal skills and team player
- Life-long learner with a desire to find and direct others to information and existing resources
Experience that would be considered an asset:
- Flexible and open to learning new things
- Using a learning management system (LMS), especially Moodle
- Knowledge of Big Blue Button or Zoom, or other such online conferencing tools
- Teaching in an online setting
- Understanding of CELBAN requirements and overall licensure process for internationally-educated nurses
- Healthcare sector
Note: An equivalent combination of education, experience, skills and knowledge may be considered.
If you are an experienced EAL Specialist who has never taught online, training will be provided but you must be comfortable using technology as well as enthusiastic and open-minded.
How to apply: Please email your cover letter and resume with the subject line PEG Canada EAL Specialist. In your cover letter, please indicate if you are seeking full-time or part-time employment.
Debbie Kroeker, Executive Director
Professional English Group Canada